Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Disaster Time

Photo below is of my plop and drop soap and here is the reason why it happened...

I decided to up the cream content in my soap from around 30g to 103g, approx. 1/3 of the water weight. With any cream or milk, it should be kept as cool as possible to avoid burning the milks. I would usually soap around 35 degrees for both oils and lye. Well, I didn't want to wait for my lye to cool down. My oils were around 38 and my lye was around 48-50. Yep, I just plonked the lye in with a 10 degree difference! Epic mistake! Everything came together well, I split the batch off to be coloured and that is where is went south. The batter accelerated that quickly I barely had a chance to mix in the micas and TD. What began as a plop and drop quickly turned to a splat and mash. The batter was quite hot and has been left uncovered to set No doubt this will have gelled!

Now, I. An hear you saying, well, it must have been the fragrance. Nope, that was impossible. I was going to split, colour THEN add scent so I didn't even get that far.

Moral of the story, when you are using cream or milks - BE PATIENT with your lye water. Mix your lye water first and allow it to cool right down. The reaction has come around because of the sugars in the cream heating up and reacting with the lye.

Soapy hugs
Kayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment